Camden News
Publications by New Journal Enterprises
  Home Archive Competition Jobs Tickets Accommodation Dating Contact us
Published: 31 July 2008

Adrienn Both and Andras Toth with their new baby, Csenge, who was born in Hungary
Parents’ joy at new arrival, baby Csenge

Following the death of their first born in 2006, couple turn to Hungary for second pregnancy

THE parents left devastated by the death of their newborn son at a Hampstead hospital have spoken of their joy after having another baby.
But Andras Toth and Adrienn Both said they will never forget the pain of losing their first child in a heart-breaking tragedy at the Royal Free.
Their son Almos died in December 2006 a day after a registrar, who was still in training, attempted to deliver him using a vacuum method known as a Ventouse Cup.
Earlier this year Almos’s parents launched a legal battle against the Pond Street hospital and expect to hear in the next three months whether their compensation claim has been successful.
The couple, who lived near Kenwood House in Winnington Road at the time of Almos’s death, described their new baby girl, Csenge, as a joy.
“Life is really good, I really love her,” said Ms Both, 31. “Like Almos, there were no complications with the pregnancy. But the feeling of ‘What if something goes wrong at the end?’ was with me all the time, so it was quite hard. I could smile only after I saw her.”
The pregnancy brought back memories for Ms Both, who now lives with her husband, Andras Toth, a few streets away in Midholm Close.
“I was crying and crying and the memories were really painful,” she said.
At first she couldn’t understand her feelings, and wondered if she was disappointed at having a girl.
“I look at her and wonder if Almos would have looked like her,” she said. “I also think if Almos hadn’t died she probably wouldn’t be here yet – maybe later.”
At an inquest in April, St Pancras coroner Dr Andrew Reid ruled that Almos died from a blood clot caused by “complications of his delivery by Ventouse”.
He described the death as the result of an “accidental adverse healthcare event”.
Expert witnesses from the hospital admitted the blood clot which killed him may have been caused by the suction cup, and accepted that the doctor who made the decision should have consulted a senior doctor on the ward.
Almos’s parents made a written complaint weeks after his death and have enlisted the help of a solicitor to help them bring a case against the hospital.
“In the beginning it wasn’t about the money, we just wanted to protect other families,” said Ms Both.
“We want to change something in the system. In Hungary they give you a scan and tell you what’s wrong if you’ve had some difficulties. In the Royal Free they didn’t give me a scan.”
She said in her home country they would never consider a caesarian – the way Almos was eventually delivered – after using the Ventouse cup because the baby would already be too far down in the birth canal.
Disillusioned, Ms Both had her second baby in Hungary.
“I couldn’t trust the hospital and the doctors any more,” she said. “In my first pregnancy with Almos we only decided at the end to have him here because there was no complication – otherwise we would have gone home.
“I was really shocked at the care we received. The care my baby received after he was born was also chaotic.
“We have other Hungarian friends and I recommend everyone to go home. I will never have a baby here.”
The couple said, however, they don’t have any other problems with the hospital.
“The hospital has changed its procedures after Almos died, and we are very happy about that,” said Ms Both.
At Almos’s inquest, the hospital defended its actions. Maternity specialist Dr Khaled Zaedi, the senior registrar working the night Almos died, said: “The guidelines are clear: We should inform senior colleagues.
“However, I am sympathetic with my colleague [who performed the attempted Ventouse delivery] that she was confident in her abilities.
“This part is quite difficult for me. I know she is very competent. However, I would have preferred to be informed.”
A spokeswoman for the Royal Free said this week: “The family of Baby Almos Toth is taking legal action against the trust, which we have referred to the NHS Litigation Authority.
“It would not be appropriate to us to comment further while this action is under way.”

Comment on this article.
(You must supply your full name and email address for your comment to be published)







Theatre Music
Arts & Events Attractions